Monday, February 17, 2014

Week 21: Bronco Day-not!, Savannah & Raul and a Hookalau!

AH! Broncos noooooo (ha ha I totally jinxed them. If the broncos would have won the super bowl did you know there would of been no school today for the kids in Colorado? Crazy! Ha ha they are that big in football! Needless to say this week was awesome!!:)
Me and Elder Farr did a lot of good things this week. It is starting to snow a lot more now.
I don't like the snow... ha ha I have not yet fallen though so that's good! So this week we met with Savannah again and her parents and it went really well. We felt prompted to go there one night and we went there said a prayer before we went in and it was very strong and powerful to be there. We bore testimony of the Book of Mormon and why we use it as well and we told her about a baptismal service and what we do for it and it was great! I let them borrow the Reflections of Christ book and we are now starting to read scriptures with them like once a week!
We also got to teach a lady named Faith! She is Catholic. She was brought up Catholic and we taught her the plan of salvation this week and it went really well. She was like, “wow”. She was very interested. She said that it was a lot of food for thought. And she really is starting to understand us and I think she is coming a lot closer to Christ now. She tried to guess my first name and she texted us "Godric Gryffindor" as a guess and I laughed so hard. Ha ha so now she calls me Godric. I think it’s so funny, but yet epic! She’s into movies. She is in her late 50s I think.
We also got to meet up with Raul! Raul is probably the coolest guy ever! He owns his own gym and we wanted to meet up with him again. So we go and see him and he was teaching a class. He was a little busy so we asked if we could help with anything. He told us that the dumbbell rack needs assembly… So we put it together for him. There were two dumbbell racks. The first time we messed up and Raul started laughing! Ha ha. You learn faster and better from trial and error! Ha ha its pretty interesting how that works.
So we finished building the dumbbell racks for him and it was super cool. He invited us to work out in the morning and take his class, so we are going to work out with him in the mornings. I am super excited for that. Raul was an MMA fighter and he knows all different types of fighting. So we might be doing a kickboxing work out with him and cross fit kind of deal. I am so excited! Raul wants to get baptized as well. Just he wants to do it when it is the right time for him. It’s really exciting to be meeting with him and teaching him. He is a great guy. He had a problem with alcohol and we promised him that if we read the Book of Mormon, he wouldn't have a problem or want to do alcohol anymore. He hasn't had a drink since. He has been sober ever since we started meeting with him. Great things are happening! Heavenly Father is amazing! He helps us so much.
So now about my basketball game… We played against President and the AP's, we lost. :( We won the first game 11 to 4 and then they won the last two! like 11-9 and 11-7 in the second game. It was so frustrating. I had to guard the 6'8 guy and it was hard. Ha ha I think I did a good job though against him. He tried to post me up a lot and he did alright there but he liked to shoot the threes as well and it is so hard to block that or contest his release point ha ha. Our President can ball too. He loves to do step backs. He’s good at them and we played good defense. We just missed some easy shots though. :( It was a bummer, but it was fun!
Now for the luau! The luau was super fun. We got to paint our faces and wear lava lava's. I really enjoyed the culture again. I am a part Samoan so it was cool! We did a hake and a Fijian dance. It was a lot of fun. I have some videos of it all. We practiced them last week about two times so in the video it doesn't look like I know what I am doing ha ha so I really hope my parents don't upload that one if you are my friends on Facebook ha ha. But yeah it was a lot of fun :) a lot of non-members came and they really enjoyed it :) so it was a success!



But anyway.. What I am currently learning about is fear. I think the biggest thing I want to eliminate when I come home from my mission is to eliminate fear. It’s a little scary sometimes to be on a mission and what you are doing but I want to really develop a lot more faith and trust in Heavenly Fathers plan. Eliminating fear would be so cool to do. So that is what I am working on right now, eliminating fear. If I eliminate fear it won't be so bad for the rest of my life. I am so grateful for this chance to serve and learn and it is getting better each day. Optimism is a key. A whole new perspective :)
So I hope you are doing well and I love you all! Hope you enjoy this update!

--
Love,

Elder Garrett Steven Harrington

No comments :

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Companions, Elder Smith Sep 2013 - Dec 2013 Elder Anani Dec 2013 - Jan 2013 Elder Farr Jan 2013 -